Monday, July 27, 2009

First Meeting with MUWA



Mbale United Women's Association is the SACCO we are working with, and Saturday we got to work! About thirty-five women attended and it was a success. We had six topics and my topic was "planning a better business." We rotated smaller groups of women and each talked about our given topic and got feedback from the women to see if the topics were important to the women; and if they would be interested in learning more about them in one of our workshops. Now, lets keep in mind I have never ran a business, and my knowledge about strengthening a banana stand is a slightly limited, however, I just kept the concepts basic and in turn got a lot of great feedback.
It is really interesting how resources seem to fall in our laps here. Just yesterday we had a lengthy discussion on how it would be great if, along with getting Ugandan business student interns to help us, we could get medical student interns to incorporate a health education element to our workshops. Then, today Allan (the doctor who is working with us) got an email from a colleague in Kampala who has Makerere Med students who need intern positions and would love to work with us. So hopefully, soon we may have Ugandan business and medical students working along side us here in Mbale, giving business and health training to SACCOs here in the city and in surrounding villages.
But on a more personal note.... I can't say I'm not missing my Oregon summer, and all my friends. We are having fun, but we really are working a lot. Sometimes, I just want to hop in the car with the radio blaring, windows down and cram in one more girl between the camping gear and head out to Blue River for some quality time around the campfire and skinny dipping. It's funny I don't remember being homesick in Spain. But don't worry friends and family! I'm far from crying myself to sleep. It's just a different adventure from anything else I've ever experienced, and it is definitely growing on me in a different way everyday.
So, just to keep you filled in on current events, I will also be either going to Lira and Murchison falls (in the North) or Jinga (half way to Kampala) this weekend for a get-a-way adventure and maybe a little work while I'm at it. So, I'm really looking forward to that :) But anyways, friends and fam thanks for keeping up with me! Love you lots!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Jaime,

    Now you will be all prepared to have your own banana stand down by Mather's Market when you come back! lol
    I was curious if you were encountering any language problems while you are there. Are you learning Bantu?
    Right now, we are forcast to have temps in triple digits. I wouldn't mind having some of your weather instead! Heading up to the rope swing at Blue River sounds pretty good to me.
    I posted some pictures from this weekends World Of Music event at the winery. Check them out!
    Love you,
    Eric

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Eric!
    Yum, language problems? yes. At times we are all speaking english, but we are all having different conversations. The diference between a Ugandan's dialect and an American's has proven to be great. And I've been learning a little Lugesue and Luganda, but not much..its pretty hard. But ya I'll check out the pics! We will have to have a sweet cheecks reunion when I get back, lord knows I'm missing good wine here!

    Hugs n luv!
    Jaime

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Sunshine!,

    I've been really enjoying reading your blogs. I've been visualizing your experiences of all these amazing encounters. The children are beyond adorable and it brings to mind for me what a universal language a child's smile can be :-) It'll be interesting to follow these women in their growth & success from the guidance that your group is sharing with them; it's nothing but a win/win for all involved. You say it's interesting how resources seem to keep falling in your laps, but isn't it interesting how life will bring you what you need at any given time because it is what's meant to be, there's a reason no such thing as coincidences- Rock On Sista Girlfriend!
    Julio

    ReplyDelete