Wednesday, July 22, 2009



I couldn’t believe I was at a hospital yesterday, no I wasn’t hurt, I just couldn’t literally believe the buildings I was looking at were wards. I don’t know what I was expecting, but the experience was definitely humbling. We have made friends with three medical students who have been interning here in Mbale for the past month, but Saturday they will be returning to Kampala. So, we got the VIP tour of the referral hospital here in Mbale. Can’t say I felt very comfortable walking through the general medicine area. One side of the ward was for men and the other for women, and that was about the most privacy anyone had. Men were sitting in the open with catheters, people with IVs going into their heads, half naked women, beds were just piled into a room, and from what our friends told us, it was a slow day because the beds only had one person in them. Treatment is free at these government run hospitals but what they don’t cover besides some medications are gloves! Patients either have to bring a box of gloves with them, or hope that whoever treats them finds that they are in extreme need of them. (So I think Emily and I are going to try to get a few boxes donated) Then, it was off to the maternity ward, seeing dehydrated babies and women who just gave birth wasn’t very fun, but holding a newborn baby....that was amazing! I acted like a real Quicker woman, and definitely cried a little, haha. I felt pretty silly, but I am very maternal, and I have never even seen such a new baby, it was amazing. So, while shocking at times, overall the visit was very nice.
But on a lighter note, the rest of our crew rolled in last night. Our professor Ron Severson, his daughter and a doctor from the university got in around seven and we had a chicken roast in their honor. But all else is going well, I got invited to a Muslim wedding here for Saturday, but unfortunately we have to work this Saturday : ( But my local friend Dorin and her British boyfriend assure me they will get me to another weeding or introduction (when the man offers a woman’s family a dowry for her betrothal) while I’m here. So, hopefully that will work out!
Oh, and the visit out to the village with Auntie Vironica went very well. We basically played with the village children for a few hours, so that’s where the photos are from....needless to say they really liked my sunglasses :)

3 comments:

  1. Hi Jaime,

    Next time you hear someone complain about their hospital experience here in the States, I am sure that you would be able to give them some perspective. I just cross fingers that you will not be in need of those services while you are over there.
    I Googled Mbale and saw that you are close to Kenya. Can you see Mount Elgon from there? It is about the same height as the Mount Ranier in Washington. It would also be cool if you had the chance to check out the Nile. Wouldn't that be a fun float trip to talk about?
    Be safe!
    Love you,
    Eric

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, ya Sipi Falls where I went on my first weekend here (I think it is one of my first posts)It was actually near the top of Mt. Elgon, so we got to spend a few nights up there hiking up to waterfalls, it was so amazingly beautiful as you can imagine. But ya the Mountain lingers over Mbale, it's incredible. But I am definitely scheming a rafting trip down the Nile :) And we are actually only just over an hour from Kenya...so I think a trip there is inevitable :) But thanks again for letting me know you are following!!

    hugs n luv!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey adventure girl..Granpa and I just got home from our trip on the boat with our friends, had a great time, but good to be back..except the 100 degree weather. I guess my moms Dr. was right, this trip will forever change how you view the world now. What a great experience and opportunity you are having, we are so proud. We would very much like to sponser a child schooling, will send your mom a check to deposite in your account soon. Can't wait for your next entry..we love you very much and have total confidence in how you handle any situations..love you GRMACRZY and Grandpa too..

    ReplyDelete