Monday, July 20, 2009

Alicia Keys look alike?

Hmmm...I'm thinking not so much. I wish I was a Alicia Keys look a like, but I'm wondering what my Ugandan friends were drinking. One thing I don't think I will ever get used to here, are some of the hidden motives some people may have. I have a really hard time understanding why someone would ever want to be my friend besides for enjoying my company.
But I am continually reminded that people here see white people as a resource first and friend second....sometimes. But I think I will remain naive to an extent, I really hate making generalizations, because I have also already made some very genuine relationships as well. But the reason I say this is because of some of the interesting relationships and interactions I have already had with a few individuals. There is this woman named Topi who I always have a lot of fun dancing with whenever I go out, but when I just met her for a beer I found myself buying a round for five and getting questions such as, "does your organization pay you to be here, or how did you buy or ticket? We should some visit you in America, do you have a boyfriend? You should meet my brother." And that's all good and fine, I understand their curiosity, but I also realize that my color also may give them a false perception of what they could gain from my friendship.
Take for example Topi's brother, who I did meet. He just spent the last hour confessing his love for me. "No, you are just infatuated, you could not possibly love me. You do not know me, you just met me an hour ago." And his indestructible response," You have no consideration for my feelings when I tell you how much I love you. I do not assume you have any more money than I do, I love you because of how beautiful you are and I can tell you are a good woman. I am absolutely not just infatuated with you. But you do look just like Alicia Keys." Hmmmmm......all I could think of saying was "thank you, but I'm really only interested in making friends while I'm here." But when the table of five Ugandans were telling me I look like Alicia Keys, can't say I wasn't a little flattered as much as I was flabbergasted.
I have been making quite a few friends already and I think the people in the house may get a little worried I may be too trusting. However, naive I may be, careful I remain. The reason I am even writing about this is because I kind of need to vent about this dilemma I face. It really bothers me that I can't trust the people I befriend, because often there are hidden agendas. So how do you know who to trust? I guess you just listen to your gut and learn from trial and error. Another example, which I love, came today in the form of a mysterious letter. The mother of the family that lives behind us got a note today to deliver to Luke which said, "Dear my best friends how are you and how is life please. I want to inform you that I want to your best friend and we are brothers and sister God says love one another may God bless you. Please answer for me the phone please (number) my name is Sumay and please answer my message. From Sumay to my best friends." My instant reaction was "how sweet!!! Lets invite her to dinner." Then I realized, at about the same time my roomies snapped me back to reality, "Jaime, we can't just let anyone into our house that is nice to us, that is how our neighbors were robbed." ohhh wow. Duh. But definitely some food for thought; I see every relationship that I touch as something to learn from, whether it be good or bad it is always something interesting and something to learn from. You just hope the relationship never ends up being too bad.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Jaime,
    Interesting life lesson to learn from. I started typing several different responses to you but kept going back to start over. It is a tough situation to be in. On one hand, you want to always think the best of people and of their intentions but without studying their culture (for years perhaps) it would be difficult to understand their motives and what drives them. We often take things for granted because of how we were brought up and how society treated us while we grew up. Things are definately different over in Mbale in ways I can't imagine. I would only suggest that you be cautious.

    90° and sunny here most of the week. How's the weather there?

    Love you,
    Eric

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ya, I agree with you. I think you get the jist of what I'm feeling...
    But the weather here has been really nice always at about 85-90 degrees, cool in the evening. There are two resorts here and the thing to do on sundays is go to the pool and last sun. we had so much fun! we ended up getting 16 people into a game of American football. very fun :) But thanks for keeping up with my blog!
    Love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Honey,
    It sounds like a pretty overwhelming situation to be put in by your aquaintance Topi. A lesson in cultures because she may not have even realized or even thought it would be wrong to create a situation where you may have felt "set up". It was perhaps one of those lessons we are given by grace to learn how and the need to protect ourselves without making it a lesson of greater consequence to learn from. I know you pay attention to messages such as was sent to you and I trust you will take good care of yourself.
    love you
    mom and dad and auntie- I am still at her house.

    ReplyDelete
  4. you should have mace. Tiger mace, if they don't make tigger mace, I will send you bear mace; speaking of which I understand that every one rides elephants, but if you aren't riding your elephant you should watch out for tigers (I need not tell you that tiger attacks are the number one killer in Africa). However, I am reminded of a old taoist tale:

    The people of the town sat at the end of a road watching people make their way past a particularly mean horse. Each person that passed the horse was either kicked or barely dodged the kick. As they waited they saw the old master come around the corner, "the Master cannot be kicked by a horse! let us learn!" As the master turned the corner he saw the horse and immediately turned to go down another street.

    Be aware of your surroundings little sister. I love and trust you.

    ReplyDelete