Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Just another day in Mbale...



Life here is an interesting thing. When we aren't working we are either at the market getting supplies for the next meal, cooking or eating. The pictures here were just taken a few hours ago at our favorite veggie lady's spot in the market. Without microwaves or full size refrigerators meals can be quite a chore. Which is kind of fun because I love cooking....but I have a feeling this might get a little old. The general rule of thumb for us is if you can't cook it or peel it you can't eat it. So we have had to get a little creative in order to have a little variety in our diet. So if anyone has any recipes that only need tomatoes, beans, peas, garlic, potatoes, rice, pasta, eggs, carrots, eggplant, pineapple, mango, bell peppers or onions PLEASE share...because we seem to be running out of new ideas. Two nights ago we made homemade tortillas and had some delicious vegetarian burritos, then last night was minestrone soup, tonight I'm in charge and I will be attempting Pad Thai.
The house is actually empty right now, and I think this is my first moment alone. So nice, I'm cracking open a guinness and not worrying about someone wanting the computer. I have really enjoyed everyone's company, but who doesn't like a little alone time? And I do prefer to have it during the day. The one evening I stayed up later than everyone else, as things got quite all the critters started coming out. Within that hour alone in the living room I saw two mice, numerous lizards and two giant cockroaches.....needless to say I haven't been so brave since.
Today has been a little bit of a slower work day for me, mostly because things work a little slower here. And if you know me, I'm not always the most patient person; so this is good for me. But after buying our groceries Shawna and I went by our favorite fabric stand to buy some materials to get skirts made. Fabric and personal tailoring total cost was 15,000 shillings which is roughly $9. Souvenir anyone?
Then, for a last stop I thought I might buy a pair of flip flops from one of the many vendors on the sidewalk. Not so easy. As soon as I tried a pair on i had men grabbing my feet, shoving various flip flops on them. Not only shoving their flip flops on me, but throwing other vendors flip flops down the street to get the other guy away. haha, A tid bit overwhelming... so no flip flops today, but definitely an interesting experience.

4 comments:

  1. Good job Jamers, thanks for the update.sounds like gaining weight won't be a problem..this is so exciting being able to keep up with what you are experiencing. I am printing out each page to share witht the rest of the family..Ok, we leave in two days much to do..love you very much..will be in touch,,.grammakris

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi sweet girl,
    We all love the pictures and your journaling.
    Especially the pictures of you in your new enviroment, they help us feel we are there with you. It sounds like you have the base ingredients for most of what we cook; onions,garlic, tomatos and starches. Have you made lentil stew or the egg-potato dish you learned in Spain?
    love you
    mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with the Pad Thai! I think it will be delicious..at least the produce looks very fresh and appetizing! Ill dig up some recipes and post the links..just give me a few days because I am super super busy with school right now. I am going to check into jobs and certification with the UO teach program tomorrow or thursday, so I will let you know. Also, I will try giving you a call soon! is it your cell phone there? talk to you soon. love ash

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job with the blog Jaime. I love hearing about your daily life. It is almost like being there with you. All our love!
    Eric

    ReplyDelete