Thursday, August 6, 2009

Lions, Hippos and Hogs Ohhh my!








So much to catch up on...and so little time. Well, since the new group has been here, work has been a little stressful...but put eight people in any house and see what happens. So time for a get-away? Yes.
The choice: Murchison Falls in Northern Uganda. So, Ron, Allan, Lizzy, Shawna, Emily and I loaded up and headed off to Kampala to meet our driver. As we sat on the bus beginning our three hour coach ride all I could think about was all of the emotions this journey has pulled me through...happiness, anger, joy, sadness, frustration, hope, love, peace, inspiration and despair. But in that moment I simply felt content. I put on my earphones, a small smile and closed my eyes.
Next thing I knew it we were in a Safari van headed to the top of a waterfall. And when I say waterfall I mean more like a giant, violent rapid that is oddly calming and peaceful. Then we headed to our beautiful cottage at Sambiya Lodge for lunch, unpacking and preparing for a boat ride to the base of Merchison Falls, so we could hike to the top and enjoy the view of the Nile. After a good sweat and lots of beautiful views we were ready for a glass of wine and bed.
The following day we were up at 5 am and ready for our game drive. (This was my highlight) At this point we had already seen crocodiles, hippos, baboons and elephants but as we headed out to the west shore of the Nile we got to add numerous gazelles and deer, giraffes, hogs and even lions to the list.
It was great, because we had a ranger with us we were able to go off trail to see some lions and right as we approached, we scared some unsuspecting deer into the direction of a ready lion, so just meters away we witnessed the kill...it was incredible. The game ride lasted about 5-6 hours, but we never got bored. If we weren’t spotting creatures out the windows we were sitting on the roof just enjoying the African sun and the morning breeze. To end our day in the park we tried to go chimp tracking but they only had three permits left, so Ron, Lizzy and I sat out and went for the nature walk while the rest of the crew went searching for the chimps. (I figured I still have a few months to cross that one off my list) Unfortunately, for the chimp trackers, no chimps were to be found....but we had a great nature tour. We got to see some shy black and white monkeys, a slug with a shell bigger than my hand, vibrating ants, tree bark used for “juju” (witch craft), parasitic trees and a 500 year old mahogany tree. We also had a wonderful guide, Justin, who told us stories about his relationships with the chimps, and his favorite chimp he calls “Joe” who once saved him from a 15 ft python. Justin said for $100 I can get a permit to sit all day with him and the chimps....hard to resist, but we will have to see what my budget and time allows.
Well, now that I have very thoroughly rambled about my latest adventure I will briefly say that I also got to stay the night in the Jewish capital of Uganda which was only five minutes up a hill from Mbale. I’m not Jewish, but I look like I could be, and it was kind of fun having people think I was. It was absolutely peaceful, no 5 am call of prayer, 6 am rooster call, or 7 am alarm of screaming kids out my window. We just got in for dinner, a good night of sleep, and some quality reading time with a beautiful view. There are three Jewish villages in Uganda and it was very interesting to go to the largest. (Which was still very small) Most Ugandans follow some form of Christianity or Islam, so to see a different religious influence so ingrained in the culture was very interesting.
Any who, I’d like for y’all to keep reading my blog so I’m going to stop before I bore you to death. And just a shout out to Auntie and Ma, thanks for calling it is always fun to chat with you and I love hearing about all the exciting news from home ;) Aunt Sierra and Jeremiah, you are in my thoughts :) :) :) hugs n luv to all!

5 comments:

  1. Hey baby girl, I must say I am a bit jealous of your journey, it's always been a dream of mine since I was little, now it's on my bucket list so maybe one day you and I can go together and you can be my personal guide. As you heard, we will have a new family member, due the 1st of April. It's been a pretty exciting week around here, Sierra took four tests just to be sure, and Jer is already talking to her belly,.very cute. Anyway, you are missed and loved dearly, enjoy every moment and experience, can't wait to read your next entry..love you dearly,, Gramma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jaime,

    Your safari sounds like a wonderful time. I can't believe the memories you are making. I am so happy for you. And just for record, I was not bored at all by your blogging but rather, a little dissapointed that it was finished so soon. I always read them twice so I can be sure not to miss something. Getting a permit to see the chimps sounds like fun except I think about that woman who was injured by her chimp recently. Just be careful! How are you doing with the food in Mbale? Anything, food-wise, that you miss from home that you can't get there?
    I check to see if you have added anthing to your blogs daily. I enjoy reading about your adventures. Keep it up!
    Hope you have a great day.
    Love you,
    Eric

    ReplyDelete
  3. Goood, I'm glad to hear I'm not boring you! I never know what people will find boring or interesting. But I didn't hear about the chimp attack...I'll have to look that up! But the food has been more and more managable, I just miss good cheddar cheese, ice cream, 1% milk, nachos and good coffee...But we have been finding more and more good places to eat. And I had mom send me some tea, because we only have one flavor, and we drink it a lot. But anyways I hope the family is doing well! Love you!!

    And to Grandma, yes I heard the WONDERFUL news!!! I can't wait to finally have a baby back in the family!!! When it comes time are they going to know the sex of the baby? LOVE YOU!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey you, we will be adding some $$$$ to your account for the up coming birthday..and yes having a baby in the family will be really fun for all of us..I will definately keep you posted on the progress. Sharing your exciting trip with everyone, and check often to read about your next great adventure. Grandpa sends his love and reminds you to stay away from the creepy boys..ha! love you, will be in touch with baby news. Your mom offered the Quicker bassinet for Sierra to use..she is really happy about it. xxxooo Gramma

    ReplyDelete
  5. G_Ma CrAzY!
    Thank you grandma!! All my birthday money will be put to good adventures...I promise! Tell Grandpa, I love him too, but if you see my newest blog I didn't stay away from the creepy boys haha...but don't worry I'm a good girl! And yes, please keep me posted with baby news, you never now how the first will go! And I'm really happy the new baby will be a lovely addition to the inhabitants of the famous Quicker bassinet...famous cause I was in it last..obviously ;)Thank you for keeping up on my blog, I love you lots!!!

    ReplyDelete