Tuesday, August 11, 2009

You are me bread and me butta......

s

Best birthday ever. Not mine, but Shawna's. It started off with a day by the pool at Mt. Elgon Hotel, not a bad way to unwind from the long week. Then it was off to DAAWAT, our favorite indian restaurant for some good food and not bad wine. Then we were off to the main event, "Bread and Butter" concert by the Goodlyfe, headlining performers: Radio and Weasel. We were all pretty excited because we have been hearing about Radio and Weasel since we got off the plane. Although, you may have never heard of them back home, but apparently they are kind of a big deal. This year they are even nominated for the MTV European music awards and African awards for best performing African group. So, after seeing about three hours of opening acts, which I'm pretty sure most of them were lip sinking (even a backstreet boys song, haha), the GoodLyfe hit the stage. Shawna and I were determined to get a good spot so we made our way around the side of the stage and were in the perfect place to rush to the stage when Radio and Weasel come on. Now, I realized Shawna and I were the closest Mzungos (white people) to the stage out of the eight of us who were in the sea of Africans, but I found myself thinking, "I swear Radio keeps singing to me....no its just my imagination....oh nope, he is definitely serenading me." I think the song started with something like, "beautiful womannnn...." and he grabbed my hands from the stage and stared at me while he sang the song. I didn't know the words so, being the dork I am, I just moved my lips mumbling jiberish.

Then as the show was about to come to an end he grabbed my hand one last time and said, "you come." So me and Shawna snap our heads to each other, "was he just talking to me?" Then, just to be clear Radio comes back to say, "meet me backstage." Ok, yup he is talking to me. So, what do we do? Well we went back stage! But first we rallied the troops. So, after an invite to the after party Luke, Shawna, me and our two local friends JB and Eddie headed to Club Oasis to join the fun. But honestly, I was a little nervous...

Lucky for us all went well, Shawna and I got to be the center of attention of the main men while groupies and other fans tried to nab their attention. However, Radio and Weasel ended up pleasantly surprising us, they were both very well educated and spoke perfect English, so it wasn't empty conversation, they were very interesting.

However, as the night turned into morning it was time to leave the club. And the headlining band also became our ride home. We were afraid some fans might follow us as they swarmed the van when we got in, but we didn't have a problem. So, now we are just keeping an eye on the papers to see if we make it in the "Red Pepper," Uganda's most popular tabloid/ newspaper.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Girl,
    All those years of practice with Ashley getting up front and center has paid off once again.
    Years of cheerleading and dance team do lead to transferable skills.
    love mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jaime,

    Sounds like you had a great time at the concert. I am not surprised that you got backstage with the band. They are always after nice pretty girls! What fun.

    Don't know if you heard or not but the Ducks got on the cover of SI! Pretty cool! Follow this link to the site. http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/0908/cfb.si.preview.covers/content.2.html

    Go Ducks!

    Love you,Eric

    ReplyDelete
  3. A picture or two of your group with name tags would be nice. Some good head shots included.
    I know what emily and the boys look like but others may not and I dont think I have seen Shawna or Ron in a picture yet.

    ReplyDelete