Friday, August 21, 2009

Good-Bye Shawna and Hello 23

(Musa ready to go to Canada!)

This past weekend was bitter sweet. Shawna, who has been such a great friend to me in the past few months had to head back to Canada. But she wanted to do her last few nights right. So, who am I to complain if she gets us a beautiful hotel room and full body massages? We were so mentally prepared for a good pampering, I couldn't wipe the smile off my face. The only thing I could manage to complain about was the smell of the soap. We had a woman bring us up a bottle opener for our wine and I had to ask, "do only men stay here? Because all the soap is for men. I don't have a boyfriend but I smell like I do." She laughed and told me I'm crazy.... oh well, its not like I haven't heard that before. After skipping around our room and getting all dolled up, Radio came to pick us up to take us to hang out with his crew at a bar. It was a Sunday night, so the night life was very relaxed. Which was great because there weren't a lot of people to bug us, I mean we were rolling with celebrities. (haha) The rest of our time in Kampala was basically spent shopping around buying various wood carvings and jewelry. Then it was good-bye, and I was on a bus back to Mbale while Shawna headed to catch her plane to Canada.


"Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday to you...." what a way to start the day! I rolled out of bed, walked into the living room and my phone started to ring. It was my two best friends, and when you are far from home on your birthday, the voices of loved ones become such a treat! I had a very nice birthday. My roomies made me banana pancakes complete with candles for breakfast, then I went and had a dress made in town, then I spent two hours trying to mail a damn package that apparently didn't want to be mailed (not a highlight of my day), but then I headed to Doreen's to get my hair done. We hopped on the motorcycle and she took me to her favorite place.... well, lets just say it would have been a nice hairdo if they didn't grease it up so much. I looked like I just stepped out of the shower by time they were done. oh well, it gave us something to laugh about and I'm always about a good giggle. Then it was off to dinner at our favorite Indian food restaurant, followed by a surprise desert after at the sports club, where Doreen had a cake waiting for me. The cake looked pretty good..until Doreen started spraying confetti foam all over it and us and our drinks. But then again....it was just one more funny thing to laugh about and it definitely didn't stop us from eating the cake.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Jaime,

    It sounded like you had a great if not memorable birthday. Party like a rock star!
    I have never had African beer before. Is it any good? What would you compare it to?
    It would be nice if you could travel Africa outside of Uganda while you are there. Any thought of doing that?
    Thanks for keeping the blog going. I really enjoy hearing about your experiences. You are making some great memories.
    Love you,
    Eric

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Bday Jaime! Did you get a card from us? Who knows where it may be..Happy Happy Beautiful day to you, Beautiful Girl! Love, Jill

    ReplyDelete
  3. African beer is not so delicious...I defintley am missing Oregon beer, and I was just thinking about how jubleale will be in season when I get home! mmmm... But I would compare certain ugandan beers to: keystone, miller and then paps (because the decent beer selection is between three)

    And to Jill: Thank you for the birthday wishes! but no, I havent gotten my card yet! but i'll look forward to its arrival! Love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Dear daughter and very near college graduate.
    I think it is probably a good thing you do not know how to spell Pabst Blue Ribbon beer for many reasons. But as a woman and beer drinker I can say that had you known how to spell the name it would of been an appropiate Fruedian slip.
    with love
    Your mommy

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh thank you mom, if I never learn anything else from you, at least I learned how to spell Pabst. But shouldn't you be proud I don't know how to spell Pabst? Come on ma, we drink better beer than that.

    ReplyDelete