Wednesday, September 9, 2009

First Training


Eleven women attended our first business training. We fit comfortably in Chairwoman Vironica’s outside patio area, where we arranged chairs in a half circle around our teacher Christine. The training began with a skit performed by the three women who arrived to the training on time and was presented when we began 45 minutes after schedule (gotta run on African time). The skit was a perfect ice breaker and made the training feel fun. The group felt very comfortable, and weren’t shy to express their opinions and ask questions. Even though the training lasted until 5pm instead of 4 pm, none of the women left early. We didn't have as many women attend as we hoped, but it sounds like more might be coming this Saturday...sometimes you just have to bug them enough. This week, following up, I am meeting two of the women who couldn't attend and I will be going over the curriculum with them individually. I'm looking forward to working with the women but I'm nervous they will think I know all the answers to their business problems.

Last week, as the house goes through the transition of losing Emily and kind of Pat, Luke and I had the house to ourselves. It is really weird to go from seven people mulling around to two. But don't get me wrong it was great. Until the transformer blew in the middle of the night and we though we were being sabotaged. The light bulb in between Luke's room and my room exploded outside our windows and I was sure thieves were unloading fire on us. Then in my sleepy stupor the paranoia of people plotting to rob the two Muzungos (white people) crept into my mind...and apparently I wasn't alone on that thought. The next morning Luke admitted he didn't get much sleep after the power went out, because he was also certain, there was a plot to get us. Now, before we sound too crazy, you must understand our neighbors have been robbed twice. (Not to scare you ma) But lucky for us, it was just the power.

This week, still in transition as Luke and Pat travel off to Kenya and Rachel (a newbie to the house) and I wait for our new comers who will arrive by Wednesday. The house is again down to two. Rachel and I are definitely taking advantage of the peace of an empty house before it fills up again. I love Mbale, but I am looking forward to getting back to Kampala to pick up the guys. There is a certain stress and pressure from our work that doesn't leave me when I'm in Mbale, so getting away here n there is always a treat.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jaime!
    It's so nice to hear from you again (blog). I know that you are pretty busy but please know that we all love hearing from you.
    Your Mom won a couple of items from the "Jewels of the Vine" event up at the winery. A haircut and an 8 person barrel tour from the winery. Gloria was there also and won 2 18 hole rounds of golf (I wonder if Bruce will like that? lol).It would have been great if you could have been there. Everyone seemed to have a good time.
    Your mom mentioned that you might be goingto Australia next year. I think that Lorrie are going also. Maybe we can arrange a visit. Put another shrimp on the Barbie!
    Love you,
    Eric

    ReplyDelete